So a whole year has passed alcohol free from start to finish. Wow 🙂
For some reason the Ian Dury and the Blockheads tune popped in to my head!
It seems fitting to end the year by counting my blessings and expressing gratitude for all that I have in my life and all the improvements I have noticed since taking that one simple, yet incredibly hard at times, step of putting down the drink. As we count down to the strike of midnight tonight here are the 12 ways my life has been totally transformed:
- Better Sleep. Man oh man I love my sleep and when I drank it was my biggest battle. I would sleep but not feel rested. Now I sleep like a baby and wake feeling refreshed and re-invigorated. This is the single biggest change that makes everything else seem doable and more manageable. Oh yeah and the best sex life I have ever had 😉
- Money Saved. Me and Mr HOF have saved over £6,000 since we stopped!! What could you do with that additional stash of cash?
- Weight Loss. I’ve lost over 12lbs despite treating myself regularly with chocolate, sweets and cakes. No other changes needed, just no booze.
- No hangovers. YEEHAW!! Hated them, love life without them. Nuff said 😉
- Improved skin and hair. Yes!! Nails are incredibly long and strong. Hair only needs washing once every 3 days now (used to be daily) and it feels like when I was pregnant and it was all thick and lush. Wowzers, added benefits I didn’t even expect!
- Lower stress levels. Completely. This is the calmest and happiest this household has ever been and each day it gets better as my patience, listening and communicating skills improve. I was a hag with a hangover and not enough decent sleep!
- Lower blood pressure. Less stress = lower blood pressure. No alcohol = lower blood pressure. My ticker is loving it 🙂
- More energy. Running 3 times a week – 5k each time and run times just keep getting better as my energy and fitness level improves.
- Feeling healthier. Very little illness in the HOF household this year and I do GENUINELY feel better. Who knew that not poisoning myself on a daily basis would boost my immune system so radically?
- Feeling my feelings and it not being a bad thing! Life has it’s ups and downs and now I experience them without feeling like I am going to drown in my own emotions. Emotionally I am far more balanced and can actually tell you what feeling I am experiencing rather than just numbing the sh*t out of everything good or bad …..
- Achieving more. In the time since I’ve stopped I’ve changed jobs, started a Masters, created my e-book and online course, and met so many lovely sober people in real life.
- I like myself more. No more crippling guilt and shame because of my drinking antics and through the love and understanding I have experienced here within the sober online community. Thank you to each and every one of you. Here’s wishing you the Happiest of New Year’s and I can’t wait to see what 2015 brings!