Have you ever seen this photo accompanying an article about women and drinking? The ubiquitous #benchgirl photographic image from 2008 gets a mention in this excellent presentation (the back story being that whenever this image appears in the media accompanying a new story about alcohol, researchers take to Twitter with the hashtag benchgirl as it has become so well known!)
This was a webinar entitled ‘It’s different for girls’ presented by Soberistas and featuring Dr Sally Marlow a research scientist from King’s College London. Dr Marlow is also featured in the excellent documentary film A Royal Hangover.
Within this 50 minute presentation Sally discusses:
- Perceptions about women and alcohol
- The truth about women and drinking
- Differences between men and women when it comes to alcohol – biological, including the telescope effect; psychological, including the self-medication hypothesis and social.
- Stigma, shame and barriers to getting help
- The abstinence violation effect (which I discussed here)
It is an excellent discussion, very informative and I highly recommend 🙂
Please do share your thoughts and comments below!