So an A&E clinical nurse manager friend of mine was kindly sent this excellent article in the Nursing Times about using online tools to treat alcohol misuse. A subject close to my heart seeing as I designed and manage one!
These were the 5 key points of the research:
- People who misuse alcohol may avoid treatment for fear of friends and family finding out
- Digital tools offer home-based access to support and treatment at a convenient time
- Service users may find it less daunting to discuss issues online
- Interacting with patients via tools such as Skype can mean health professionals listen more, talk less and provide more appropriate treatment.
- Apps and digital tools may be used to treat problems in which access to healthcare may be a barrier to treatment
I completely agree with all the research findings and conclusion as my own experience verifies. The whole paper is worth a read and you can access it here:
Thank you Mark Holmes at HAGA for publishing this and for providing evidence that what I instinctively felt was a solution to the problem for me turns out to be correct for many! 🙂